Thursday, May 10, 2007

Second post from LA

I'm finding I don't have as much time to blog as I was expecting. I suppose that's a good thing, it mean's I'm keeping busy.

I went for a very long walk yesterday. Way too long. I'm really hurting from not having a Melway-equivalent! But I was thrilled to find a couple of things not available in Australia yet so the walk was kind of worth it. But my leg's might not agree!

I was rushing home to watch a new episode of Veronica Mars (without having to torrent download it) but it got bumped because of the bushfire in Griffith Park. It was kind of cool because I could see the fire, and the helicopters flying over it, from my hotel window!

Yesterday was stinking hot. Much hotter than I realised it was going to be. I found the hotel pool and went for a bit of a swim which was nice.

Another thing I'm struggling with is "plus tax". If you see an item and it has a big price listed next to it, I assume that is the price. No, that's the price before you add the tax to it. It's almost impossible to get the exact money ready because there's this extra little charge for everything!

I visited Universal Studios today. Got there early which meant I could get on some of the better rides quickly. The place is very much like Movieworld or the former Fox Studios Backlot back home. There's the same sort of feel to all the rides and attractions.

I saw Wisteria Lane, which was cool, and the jet crash site from the War of the Worlds movie. I rode on pretty much everything you could ride on. The Mummy ride was pretty good (I did that one twice). The 3/4D shows (Shrek and Terminator 2) were pretty fun too. There was also an extremely entertaining special effects tour with great hosts.

Coming home I stopped in Hollywood proper. It's pretty seedy really. And then West Hollywood which was interesting at least. I bused down to Santa Monica to eat and was surprised to find a fine mist coming in off the ocean. In my shorts and t-shirt I was freezing! I ate dinner and came straight back to the hotel.

There is Internet access at the hotel which is a little pricey but it's convenient.

I'm taking notes for longer entries than these, but knowing my track record I might never type them up.

I might have to see if I can try uploading photos next time I come down here.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home